Uthangarai is a town and the headquarters of Uthangarai taluk in the Krishnagiri district of Tamil Nadu, India. It is located about 75 kilometres from the district headquarters, Krishnagiri, and about 260 kilometres from the state capital, Chennai.
Uthangarai has a long history dating back to the Chola dynasty. The town is mentioned in several ancient Tamil texts, including the Sangam literature.
In the 10th century CE, the Chola king, Rajaraja I, built the Uthangarai Perumal Temple, a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The temple is one of the most important temples in the town.
Uthangarai is home to several attractions, including:
- Uthangarai Perumal Temple
- Uthangarai Siva Temple
- Uthangarai Amman Temple
- Uthangarai Lake
- Uthangarai Market
- Uthangarai Bus Stand
As of 2011, the population of Uthangarai was 19,640. The majority of the population is Hindu, with a small minority of Muslims and Christians. The town is multilingual, with Tamil being the official language and the most widely spoken language. Telugu, Kannada, and Urdu are also spoken by significant minorities.
Uthangarai is well-connected by road and rail. The nearest airport is the Salem Airport, which is about 100 kilometers (62 miles) away.
Uthangarai is a major center for agriculture and trade. The town is known for its rice, sugarcane, and banana crops. Uthangarai is also a major hub for the production of cotton and silk textiles.
Uthangarai has a number of schools and colleges. The town is home to the Government Arts College Uthangarai, which is affiliated with the University of Madras.
Uthangarai has a rich culture and heritage. The town is home to a number of temples, festivals, and traditions. The town is also known for its handicrafts, which include pottery, weaving, and wood carving.
Uthangarai is a popular destination for domestic tourism. The town is home to a number of historical and religious sites, as well as a number of natural attractions.
Overall, Uthangarai is a fascinating town with a rich history and culture. The temples, lake, market, bus stand, commercial activity, education, and transport make it a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
Here are some specific answers to your questions about Uthangarai:
- Location: Uthangarai is located in the Krishnagiri district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is situated on the banks of the Kaveri River, about 255 kilometers (158 miles) from the state capital, Chennai.
- Pin code: The pin code for Uthangarai is 635207.
- Weather: Uthangarai has a tropical savanna climate, with hot and humid summers and warm, dry winters. The average temperature ranges from 25 to 35 degrees Celsius (77 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Best time to visit: The best time to visit Uthangarai is from October to March.
- Nearest airport: The nearest airport is the Salem Airport, which is about 100 kilometers (62 miles) away.