Thiruvallur (also spelled Tiruvallur) is a district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. It is located in the northern part of the state, and is bounded by the districts of Chennai, Kanchipuram, Chengalpattu, Vellore, Ranipet, and Tirupathur. The district has an area of 3,423 square kilometers, and a population of 3,728,104 people. The district headquarters is the town of Thiruvallur.
Thiruvallur is a major industrial and commercial center. The district is home to a number of factories, including automobile manufacturing plants, textile mills, and chemical plants. The district is also a major agricultural center, and is known for its production of rice, sugarcane, and cotton.
Location: Thiruvallur, Tamil Nadu, India
Weather: Tropical climate with hot summers and moderate winters.
Telephone Code: +91-(0)44
Try authentic South Indian dishes like dosa, idli, sambar, and biryani.
- Sri Veeraraghava Perumal Temple – Best time: October to March. Explore stunning architecture and religious significance.
- Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary – Best time: November to February. Birdwatching amidst serene surroundings.
- Poondi Reservoir – Best time: September to February. Enjoy picnics and boating.
- Pulicat Lake – Best time: November to March. Spot migratory birds and indulge in boat rides.
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial – Best time: All year round. Pay respects and learn about the former Prime Minister’s life.
- Sriperumbudur – Best time: November to February. Visit birthplace of Sri Ramanuja and Rajiv Gandhi Memorial.
- Tiruttani Murugan Temple – Best time: October to March. Seek blessings and enjoy hilltop views.
- Kishkinta Theme Park – Best time: November to February. Have fun on thrilling rides and water attractions.
- Sri Subramanya Swamy Temple, Thiruthani – Best time: October to February. Explore this ancient religious site.
- Anna Zoological Park (Vandalur Zoo) – Best time: November to February. Witness diverse wildlife and a butterfly house.
- Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple, Poovirundavalli – Best time: October to March. Admire the deity and peaceful surroundings.
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park – Best time: November to February. Discover wildlife in a natural habitat.
- Red Hills Lake – Best time: September to February. Enjoy serene surroundings and fishing opportunities.
- Sri Venkatesa Perumal Temple, Sathiyavasanpet – Best time: October to March. Experience tranquility and spirituality.
- Madhurakaliamman Temple – Best time: October to February. Witness the grandeur of the temple.
- Sri Ramanujar Temple, Puthur – Best time: November to February. Embrace the spiritual ambiance.
- Tiruvottiyur Thiruvika Beach – Best time: November to February. Relax by the shore and watch the sunset.
- Sivananda Satsangh Bhavan – Best time: All year round. Meditate and rejuvenate in a peaceful setting.
- Amman Koil Kulam – Best time: November to February. Enjoy the tranquility and unique architecture.
- Shri Agasteeswarar Temple, Kavanur – Best time: October to March. Explore this ancient temple with intricate carvings.
Things you can do in Thiruvallur:
- Visit the Thiruvallur Fort, a 16th-century fort that was built by the Vijayanagara Empire.
- Explore the Thiruvallur Temple, a 10th-century temple dedicated to the god Shiva.
- Visit the Poondi Lake, a large lake that is home to a variety of birds and animals.
- Go hiking in the Javadhu Hills, a range of hills located about 30 kilometers (19 mi) from Thiruvallur.
- Visit the Yelagiri Hills, a range of hills located about 45 kilometers (28 mi) from Thiruvallur.
- Visit the Kamandala River, a river that flows through the district.