Bargur is a selection-grade town panchayat in the Krishnagiri district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It serves as the headquarters of Bargur taluk, one of the seven taluks in Krishnagiri district. Bargur is known for its temples, including the Parshwa Padmavathi Shaktipeet Temple, the Narasimha Swamy Temple, and the Sri Kattu Veera Anjaneya Temple. It is also a commercial town with a market and several shops.
Bargur has a long history dating back to the Chola dynasty. The town is mentioned in several ancient Tamil texts, including the Periyapuranam.
In the 10th century CE, the Chola king, Rajaraja I, built the Bargur Perumal Temple, a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The temple is one of the most important temples in the town.
Bargur is home to several attractions, including:
- Parshwa Padmavathi Shaktipeet Temple: This temple is dedicated to Goddess Padmavathi, a form of Goddess Parvati. The temple is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas, or sacred pilgrimage sites for Hindus.
- Narasimha Swamy Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Narasimha, an avatar of Lord Vishnu. The temple is one of the oldest temples in Bargur.
- Sri Kattu Veera Anjaneya Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Hanuman, the monkey god and a loyal companion of Lord Rama. The temple is situated on a hilltop and offers panoramic views of the town.
- Bargur Market: This market is a popular spot for shopping for a variety of goods, including food, clothing, and household items.
- Bargur Bus Stand: This bus stand is a major hub for transportation in the town and surrounding area.
How to Reach Bargur
Bargur is well-connected by road and rail. The nearest airport is the Salem Airport, which is about 100 kilometers (62 miles) away.
Overall, Bargur is a fascinating town with a rich history and culture. The temples, market, bus stand, and commercial activity make it a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
Here are some specific answers to your questions about Bargur:
- Location: Bargur is located in the Krishnagiri district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is situated on the banks of the Krishnagiri River, about 15 kilometers (9.3 miles) east of Krishnagiri along National Highway 48.
- Pin code: The pin code for Bargur is 635104.
- Weather: Bargur has a tropical savanna climate, with hot and humid summers and warm, dry winters. The average temperature ranges from 25 to 35 degrees Celsius (77 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Best time to visit: The best time to visit Bargur is from October to March.
- Nearest airport: The nearest airport is the Salem Airport, which is about 100 kilometers (62 miles) away.
- Nearest railway station: The nearest railway station is the Bargur railway station, which is about 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) away.